Healthy Protein Macaroni and Cheese
I know what you’re thinking, “healthy mac and cheese, there’s no such thing.” But, yes there is, otherwise, you wouldn’t be here. Healthy mac and cheese, is really about cutting out some of the calories and fat, as opposed to being “healthy.” But we’re going to find a way to lighten the load add some protein and make this healthy mac and cheese a staple in your weekly dinner options.
The first step in making that mac and cheese a bit healthier, is that instead of using simple carbohydrates or traditional white pasta, simply switch it out with chickpea pasta, whole wheat, brown rice, or quinoa. Switching from a simple carbohydrate or refined carbohydrate to a complex carb, will slow down your digestion process, add more fiber to your diet, and have a slower blood sugar release, keeping you fuller for longer, and maintaining steady energy levels. Chickpea pasta however will have much more protein than any other option, and it tastes just like the real thing.
Additionally, reducing the amount of butter, or replacing the butter with a butter alternative, the amount of cheese, and milk will also save you on some calories and fat content. Pea milk, is also protein packed and a great option for a protein packed mac and cheese recipe.
Healthy Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 12 oz of Pasta: (chickpea, whole wheat, quinoa, cauliflower, or brown rice)
- 1 ½ tbsp of Butter or butter alternative
- 2 cups of Milk or Pea Milk: (those with dairy allergies, can replace with oat milk, or macadamia, or pea milk)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups of cheddar (small blocks will melt best)
- 2 tbsp of grated parmesan
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt and bring to a boil
- Add pasta and boil until tender for around 8-10 minutes. If you like your pasta more al dente, boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Strain and wash with cold water
- Add back to pot with butter and cheese
- Let sit in the pot for 5 minutes
- Stir until cheese and butter is creamy
Healthy Protein Mac And Cheese: Takeaway
if you’re trying to be healthy but just absolutely love mac and cheese, this is a great recipe that gives you the best of both worlds. Try out this healthy mac and cheese recipe to get a protein packed bowl with the delicious mac and cheese you love.